The Eastern Discovery - with Athens and Cruise Premier, Small Group, 2021
Brochure Type: 2021-2022 Europe & Beyond
This multi-layered journey takes you from Plitvice Lakes in Croatia to the mighty Parthenon in Athens and on to the shimmering Greek isles with a stopover in Corfu.
- Zagreb: Join your Travel Director for a Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant with the opportunity to get to know your fellow travellers over a pleasant evening with wine.
- Dubrovnik: Enjoy a traditional Dalmatian Coast meal at a local restaurant, accompanied with wine and grappa.
- Athens: Toast the culmination of your vacation with a lively Celebration Dinner in true Greek style at a local restaurant.
- Dining Summary: 16 Breakfast (B), 1 Dinner (D), 8 Dinner with Wine (DW), 3 Lunch with Wine (LW)
- Plitvice: Join a guided tour in the Plitvice Lakes National Park as you walk along forest paths and the crystal blue-green waters. Alternatively, take time to learn about local traditions and folklore at a local community centre.
- Heraklion: While in Crete, enjoy your guided visit to the Palace of Minos at Knossos.
- Plitvice National Park: Choose between joining a Local Expert to explore Plitvice National Park and learn how the site actively carries out research to monitor the natural habitat of species, or alternatively meet the industrious women of the Tara Community Centre, who produce handicrafts, enabling employment and engagement in the community.
- Zagreb: Ride the funicular to Gornji Grad, the medieval Upper Town, to view the former Presidential Palace, Stone Gate, St. Mark's Church and the Lotr?cak Tower.
- Trogir: See the cathedral and Renaissance Cipiko Palace during an orientation with your Travel Director.
- Split: Sightseeing with your Local Expert continues through the old town. Walk through the Jewish Quarter to reach Narodni Trg, the centre of Old Split. Continue to Trg Brace Radic, translated as the Square of the Radic brothers, but better known to the locals as Vocni Trg, or the Fruit Square.
- Dubrovnik: As the sun descends and should the weather be favourable, enjoy a relaxing cruise around the fabled bay of Dubrovnik.
- Kotor: Visit the Stari Grad, also referred to as the Old Town, perfectly positioned on a beautiful bay.
- Budva: Explore the medieval old town of Budva, home to religious sites such as the 9th century Church of Santa Maria in Punta.
- Tirana: Meet a local resident who will show you Skanderbeg Square and walk you through their home city as they explain what it's like to live in the Albanian capital.
- Corfu: Return to the mainland by cruise and continue your journey through Greece.
- Delphi: With your Local Expert, walk to The Sacred Way once lined with offertory temples. See the reconstructed Athenian Treasury and pass the superb Polygonal Wall to reach the Temple of Apollo, where the people would seek divine wisdom from the mysterious Oracle.
- Ephesus: Discover one of the world's finest ancient sites. Led by your Local Expert, walk the Arcadian Way, see the Library of Celsus and Amphitheatre and visit the House of the Virgin Mary.
- Athens: Ascend the Acropolis with a Local Expert to admire the Parthenon, built in 5th century B.C. Steps away you'll see the Temple of Athena Nike, also known as the Temple of the Wingless Victory, and the six stone-carved caryatids that make up the Porch of the Maidens on the Erechtheion.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Call (800) 840-8220 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15391948
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 3/31/2021
- 17 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Zagreb||Welcome to Zagreb: Transfers to your hotel depart from Zagreb airport at 11:30 and 14:00. Relax and settle in or perhaps head for the romantic chestnut-lined Stross Promenade for your first views over the city. At 17:30, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant with the opportunity to get to know your fellow travellers over a pleasant evening with wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Sheraton Zagreb Hotel.
|Day 2||Zagreb||Zagreb's Twin Towns: Join your Local Expert to explore the two-tiered capital of Croatia. Drive through the squares of the Lower Town, Donji Grad, designed to give a sense of grandeur. See the Mimara Art Museum in Roosevelt Square and continue to Ban Josip Jelacic Square en route to the cathedral. Board the city's funicular to the medieval Upper Town, Gornji Grad. It's a network of little streets, stretching between the Kaptol and Gradec hills. View the former Presidential Palace, Stone Gate, St. Mark's Church and the Lotr?cak Tower. The afternoon is at leisure. Relax and enjoy your hotel's amenities or perhaps take an Optional Experience to the Zagorje region to learn about the local traditions and visit the house of Marshall Tito? (Breakfast)|
Sheraton Zagreb Hotel.
|Day 3||The Crystal Lakes of Plitvice||The Crystal Lakes of Plitvice: Take this morning to relax and enjoy your hotel's facilities. In the afternoon depart for your next hotel, located inside the Plitvice Lakes National Park. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1979, this is Croatia's first and largest national park of Croatia. While the park is predominately forests and grasslands, the true highlight are the interconnected lakes that cascade from one to another. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Lyra, Licko Petrovo Selo.
|Day 4||Split||Plitvice Lakes, Ancient Trogir and Split: Explore Plitvice with Insight Choice. Choose between two Make Travel Matter Experiences: Join a guided tour of the National Park and walk along forest paths among 16 interconnecting lakes or alternatively, head to the National Park's viewpoint and learn about folklore at the Tara Community centre. Travel along the coast and visit Trogir, founded by the Greeks more than 2300 years ago. and renowned for its beautiful cathedral and Renaissance Cipiko Palace. Continue to the historic port of Split. (Breakfast)|
Hotel President Solin, Split.
|Day 5||Dubrovnik||Diocletian's Palace: The Roman Emperor Diocletian built his palace here, and today it forms the heart of the Old Town of Split. With your Local Expert, explore the 1,700 year-old palace cellars, and learn the story of the infamous emperor. Continue through the labyrinthine streets and arcaded squares to see St. Duje's - originally Diocletian's Mausoleum, and the Temple of Jupiter, which today is a baptistery, as well as the Golden Gate. Travel alongside sparkling deep blue seas and the rocky islands of the Dalmatian coast to Dubrovnik. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Croatia Cavtat.
|Day 6||Dubrovnik||Dubrovnik, Pearl of the Adriatic: The walled town of Dubrovnik, was once described as 'paradise on Earth', according to George Bernard Shaw.Join a walking exploration of the city, guided by a Local Expert. Get a glimpse into local life, as you explore the stone-paved streets inside the 16th century bastions of the Old Town. Walk past Onofrio's Fountain, see the Old Jewish Quarter and the synagogue, and marvel at the grandeur of the cathedral and the Franciscan and Dominican monasteries. This evening, should weather permit, embark on a dazzling cruise around the fabled bay. Gaze out at views of the glistening Adriatic and the mighty city walls rising straight from the cliffs. Start your dinner with a glass of grappa, before savouring authentic flavours of local specialties washed down with locally produced wine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Croatia Cavtat.
|Day 7||Montenegro||Mediterranean Montenegro: Stop to visit the old town of Kotor, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the bay, with it's azure waters lapping at the edges of the medieval towns which dot the coastline. Next, make your way along the Adriatic sea to Budva. Discover the medieval old town, home to religious sites such as 9th century Church of Santa Maria in Punta. (Breakfast)|
|Day 8||Tirana||Scenic Drive to Tirana: Travel through the spectacular scenery of Montenegro and Albania and continue to the fascinating capital of Tirana. Led by your Local Expert, explore this warmhearted and colourful city, and see the diverse relics that remain from its Ottoman, Italian and communist past. This evening, feast on a traditional dinner at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Maritim Hotel Plaza Tirana.
|Day 9||Corfu||Across to Corfu: Take in Albania's unique scenery, as you journey across the country to Greece, and set sail for the cobalt-blue waters of Corfu. Renowned since Odysseus for its untamed beauty and strategic position in the Mediterranean, Corfu today is one of Greece's most charming islands. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Divani Palace Hotel Corfu.
|Day 10||Corfu||Relax in Corfu: Enjoy a full day at leisure to relax and enjoy the beautiful island of Corfu. Perhaps explore the Old Town and admire the interesting mix of architectural styles, from Roman and Venetian to French and British, each resembling an era of the island's interesting past before it was united with Greece. Alternatively, you may want to lay-back and unwind at one of the incredible beaches, or board a cruise for stunning views around the island? (Breakfast)|
Divani Palace Hotel Corfu.
|Day 11||Delphi||Delphi, Centre of the Ancient World: Set off from your island paradise for Delphi, a spectacular cliff-side amphitheatre and worthy of its status as the centre of the ancient world. History and mythology run deep here, with finds of ritual artefacts that date back to 4,000 B.C and remains of a Mycenaean settlement. It is said that Delphi is the location where two eagles crossed paths, after they were released by Zeus from opposite end of the universe to find 'the navel of the world.' (Breakfast)|
Amalia Hotel Delphi.
|Day 12||Athens||Delphi sightseeing and on to Athens: Ascend the Sacred Way of Delphi with your Local Expert. Pass the Parian marble Treasury of the Athenians and Polygonal Wall with its interlocking stones, still perfectly intact after thousands of years. You'll approach the Temple of Apollo, where for 14 centuries the mysterious Oracle of Delphi breathed her enigmatic 'words,' rumoured to have successfully predicted events related to the Argonauts expedition and the Trojan War. Your travels then continue to the ancient city of Athens, the modern capital of Greece. In the evening, enjoy a hearty Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant in true Greek style, complete with wine and good cheer. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Divani Caravel Hotel, Athens.
|Day 13||Mykonos||Cruise to Mykonos: Board your cruise ship and set sail for the lovely island of Mykonos with its dazzling sugar cube houses and whitewashed windmills. Tonight, the maze of walkways, welcoming tavernas and nightlife are yours to explore. Late in the evening, your cruise sails across the Aegean to Turkey.While cruising, enjoy an exquisite variety of Mediterranean dishes as well as flavours, aromas and spices from around the world. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served onboard daily. Your cruise includes a complimentary drinks package, featuring a selection of alcoholic, soft drinks and hot beverages. (Breakfast / Lunch with Wine / Dinner with Wine)|
MV Celestyal Olympia (or similar).
|Day 14||Kusadasi to Patmos||Kusadasi to Patmos: Today explore the Turkish port of Kusadasi and visit the ancient ruins of Ephesus. With your Local Expert, explore this Greco-Roman treasure, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.In the afternoon, sail to the island of Patmos where St. John the Devine was exiled by the Emperor Domitian. Later, your cruise sets sail for the island of Crete. (Breakfast / Lunch with Wine / Dinner with Wine)|
MV Celestyal Olympia (or similar).
|Day 15||Crete and Santorini||Crete and Santorini: In the morning, you dock at Heraklion in Crete, where you visit the site of the ruins of King Minos' Palace of Knossos with a Local Expert. Later, cruise beneath the sheer cliffs of Santorini. Explore the capital of Thira, with its clifftop restaurants and cafes, breathtaking views and amazing sunsets.In the evening you sail onto Athens. (Breakfast / Lunch with Wine / Dinner with Wine)|
MV Celestyal Olympia (or similar).
|Day 16||Athens||Ancient Athens: Disembark from your cruise. Join a Local Expert for a morning of city sightseeing. Enjoy the glory of ancient Greece from the Acropolis with the Parthenon, Temple of Athena Nike, also known as the Temple of the Wingless Victory, and the six stone-carved caryatids that make up the Porch of the Maidens on the Erechtheion. You will also see the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Arch of Hadrian. This afternoon is yours to explore at your own pace. (Breakfast)|
|Day 17||Athens||Depart Athens: Your journey comes to an end with a transfer to Athens airport. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person and includes port taxes, tips & fuel surcharge for cruise portion. Cruise vessels and/or ports of call may be re-scheduled at short notice. Insight Vacations does not use base category cabins, all cabins are outside. Cabin category Premier (XC) - Code B943AA. Visas: Some passports may require Visas, please speak to your Travel Agent at time of booking to assess your requirements as documents may not be issued at borders in Europe. (4a) These departures will stay at a hotel of similar standard in Vienna.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class